NEW RACE MEETING SCHEDULED FOR SATURDAY 19TH SEPTEMBER BUT SUBJECT TO LEVEL 2 COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS.WATCH THIS SPACE TO SEE WHO CAN COME RACING.
Today 8th SEPTEMBER NZTR announced the following. The Counties meeting scheduled for Saturday 19 September will now be conducted by the Whangarei RC at Ruakaka.
The track at Pukekohe Park was inspected by NZTR, RIU and Club representatives on Monday morning following the recent verti-draining. While there has been significant improvement in the area that was very wet last month, there could be concerns if there was further significant rain between now and raceday. Therefore, to give Owners and Trainers some surety an early decision has been made to transfer this meeting.
Despite the short notice the Whangarei Racing Club is very pleased to have this opportunity to race. It will be the Club’s first meeting since January this year.
With the current Level 2 Covid-19 restrictions the Club is unsure of the extent that it can allow racegoers to attend the meeting. NZTR has amended its Directive to allow for pre-registered groups of 100 to attend a race meeting BUT subject to the Club submitting full details that are approved of how it will manage the separation and isolation of groups and participants.
In addition, the Government is expected to announce its decision on the status of Covid-19 restrictions on Monday for the period commencing on 17th September. If the restriction level is lowered to Level 1, then all can attend.
ITM/GIB WHANGAREI GOLD CUP $32,500 2200M
With the addition of this meeting local business man Shayne Heape was keen to sponsor and run the ITM/GIB Whangarei Gold Cup. This is the second attempt to get the race underway with Covid-19 restrictions in Auckland preventing the race being held in August.
Photo shows Poker Face clearing away to win the 2019 version of the ITM/GIB Whangarei Gold Cup.
As more information is known we will be in touch through the website, Facebook and members' newsletters.